Born as a single kid I’ve always dreamt of raising my kid with one or more siblings. Now, we know there’s nothing like it; living a large family life. Everything is bigger and more when you’ve got a bunch of kids living under one roof: the messes, the love, the noise, the stares from strangers.
When do you qualify as a ‘big’ family? The answer will depend on who you ask, but most likely the number of kids will be one or two more than they have.
For me personally, having four kids made my family big. It seems I’m counting heads over and over. We live in a small country in Europe, the Netherlands. The average family over here has two children, two fifth has either one or three, but only nine percent of all Dutch mothers is taking care of four or more children! Read this and decide, do you have a large family too?
10+ signs that could make you realize you’re living a large family life
- No matter how many times you tell everybody, even your close friends can’t remember your children’s names!
- You can’t stop calling your kids by their sibling’s name yourself!
- If you’re not combining birthday parties, you’ll be celebrating birthdays year-round.
- When you walk to school you have to look both ways; there’s always someone running ahead like he’s in the 100-meter final. While another is walking behind you counting the clouds or the flowers in the neighbours’ garden. Oh, and that one holding your hand….
- Your lap is always taken (if you ever get to sit down, that is), or worse there are kids fighting over it so you get one on each knee.
- If you want to play a board game together and you will have to divide in teams nearly with every game.
- You don’t feel embarrassed when you empty the dairy department of your supermarket.
- If your kids can’t sleep over at your parents alone, because they’re used to always sleeping with someone else in the room.
- You’re asked to come to your friends’/neighbours’/brothers’ birthday party in shifts. So they can invite other people at the same time.
- When it feels like there’s another family secretly living in your house somewhere. The pile of dirty laundry just never hits the bottom.
- You have few family pictures with everybody in there. And if you do, you’re happy if only one kid is crying, picking his nose or making a funny face. (my goal for this year is to make a change in this!)
If you can relate to these welcome aboard! You’re sure to have a large family. What signs made you realize you have a big family?